Public Health Online Resource for Careers, Skills and Training

Home  »  Careers, roles and job requirements  »  Regulation and formal qualification  »  Regulated Professions Relevant To Public Health Careers  »  Psychology


If you want any role in psychology, you must have a qualification and training recognized by the British Psychological Society. You could take a recognized first or postgraduate degree that meets standards for accreditation. In the first instance, this leads to recognition as a ‘Graduate Basis for Registration’ (GBR). If you did not study an accredited degree, you could take a ‘conversion’ course or the qualifying examination. Then you can develop your experience and skills to become a Psychologist in-training. In 2009, the Health Professions Council took over regulation of all psychologists who practice health psychology, provide counselling, work in clinical, educational, in occupational, forensic and in sport and exercise psychology, as shown here.

Specialist Psychologist

If you want to work as a specialist in health psychology, you should be a recognized specialist in this area. You need to attend a recognized post-graduate course or training to meet the standards for a Chartered Health Psychologist. There is an equivalent way for anyone who studied abroad. To find out more visit the British Psychological Society website.

Staying on the register

Practicing psychologists are expected to keep up to date. Information about standards and how to find accredited CPD is available from the British Psychological Society‘s learning centre. Registered Psychologists or Practitioner Psychologists now meet the CPD standards of the Health Professions Council. This entails being ready to show evidence of their CPD in a sample audit.


See career story:


“I became more and more interested in working with people who have been socially excluded”

Mark Davies –Consultant Clinical Psychologist



Back to top