Public Health Online Resource for Careers, Skills and Training

Home  »  Careers, roles and job requirements  »  Regulation and formal qualification  »  Regulated Professions Relevant To Public Health Careers  »  Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics

Public Health Nutrition and Dietetics


To work as a dietician, you must be on the dietetic register of the Health Professions Council. You have a first or post-graduate diploma or masters dietetics degree from an approved course. It may show that you are eligible if you trained abroad.

Staying on the register

You must meet the standards for CPD set by the Health Professions Council, and be ready to be part of an audit sample. You can get help with standards and find recognized events or courses from The British Dietetic Association, a professional body for dietitians.


To work as a nutritionist, you would be expected to be on the UK Voluntary Register of Nutritionists. Registered Public Health Nutritionists or Nutritionists have met the standards in knowledge, evidence of skill and good character. Registered Nutritionists normally hold an accredited degree. You can submit a portfolio of evidence to show that you meet the standards even though you do not have an accredited degree; to find out, click here. A dietitian may be on both registers.

Staying on the register

You are expected to pay an annual registration fee. You must also be committed to keeping up to date, which includes keeping a reflective record of a variety of formal and informal CPD. 


See career story:


“In a typical week my work can include Jamie Oliver, arsenic in food, catering award schemes, the Olympics, Bliss magazine, Manchester United and UKTV food”

Louis Levy – Head of Nutrition Advice and Behaviour Change


Back to top